When you have horses, you may be fooled into thinking you no longer have to mow any grass, ever. This is sadly not always the case! If you have to move your horses to a new field which is just filled to the brim with too much grass and you can imagine them blowing up like little balloons, you will have to consider getting some machinery to help you out.
Why 10 acres? As we have already written elsewhere on this blog, a typical horse needs between one and two acres of pasture to get enough forage. In temperate areas with mild winters, a horse can do very well kept on about five acres of land. So if you have two horses, you would need about 10 acres, right? 🙂 But where do you find the best mower for 10 acres?
What You'll Learn Today
- 1 Best Mower For 10 Acres Reviews
- 1.1 1. Craftsman T135 18.5HP Gas Powered Ride On Lawn Mower Review
- 1.2 2. Troy-Bilt Premium Neighbourhood Riding Lawn Mower Review
- 1.3 3. Husqvarna YTH22V46 46 Inch Hydrostatic Riding Mower Review
- 2 Conclusion
Best Mower For 10 Acres Reviews
We have made this search easier, by finding three of the best mowers that will make your life easier (and your horses slimmer!):
Mowers For 10 Acres
|TOP PICK: Craftsman T135 18.5HP Gas Powered|
Enough mowing power suitable for larger yard jobs.
For medium sized landscape and relatively even terrain.
|Husqvarna YTH22V46 46 Inch|
A seriously heavy duty, efficient, premium mower.
1. Craftsman T135 18.5HP Gas Powered Ride On Lawn Mower Review
This is a seriously heavy duty lawn mower, designed for mowing through just about any jungle you care to throw at it! It is reliable, easy to assemble and use, and will do the job it’s meant to do, with minimal fuss or effort on your part. Our top pick for the best mower for 10 acres title!
- Powerful engine with ready-start – This engine will chew through even the longest, toughest grass and pasture seed mix, and you won’t have to spend ages turning it over to get it to start – it just goes when you ask it to, which is a great feature.
- Can mow in reverse – This is another useful attribute, as it means that even if you have to go backwards because you missed a bit, you won’t then have to re-mow that bit as this mower works even in reverse.
- Seat is supportive for the back – Even if you have to spend ages and ages in the seat of the mower, your back won’t suffer as the seat is designed to support the part of your back that gets the most wear and tear.
- Strong, turf saver wheels – These heavy duty tyres are designed to give enough clearance so that the ground underneath the mower is not damaged, and to be strong enough to cope with rough, uneven ground.
- Speed handle is not to everyone’s taste – The speed handle, some report, is located quite low down and is quite sensitive so you have to be careful or you go blasting into the sunset!
This is a great mower, designed to be strong and hard wearing, and does exactly what it says on the tin. The built-in cutting deck also saves time when cleaning the underside.
2. Troy-Bilt Premium Neighbourhood Riding Lawn Mower Review
This ride-along mower is designed for grass cutting in medium sized areas, and is great for even terrain, though it will cope with a bit of un-evenness.
- Top speed of 4.25 mph and 6-speed transmission – Getting the job done quickly is a fantastic feature, especially if you have a lot of land to cover and are not looking forward to spending all day mowing! 6 speed transmission means you can choose your speed depending on what sort of ground you are covering.
- 18 inch turning radius – Having a good turning circle is great for when you have to make turns around trees or other obstacles.
- 3 gallon fuel tank capacity and viewing window – It’s good to get to mowing done without having to stop and refuel, which you should be able to do with this large capacity fuel tank. The fuel viewing window helps you gauge when you need to refuel too.
- Large enough to do the job yet small enough for easy storage – This mower combines the benefits of a ride n mower with those of a wide cut walk behind mower, meaning that it will take up less room in your garage.
- There can be problems with the ignition – Some users have reported that it can sometimes be tricky to start this machine.
A good mower with a lot of benefits – it will do the job you want it to, as well as be small and compact enough to store easily. The durable tyres ensure ground coverage meaning that it shouldn’t get bogged down even if you ask it to cut a meadow.
3. Husqvarna YTH22V46 46 Inch Hydrostatic Riding Mower Review
This ride on mower is a seriously luxury item, and definitely one to purchase if you have a large area of rough grass to mow.
- Foot pedal operated transmission – Being able to change the gears with your foot means that you can keep both hands on the steering wheel and be much more safe and comfortable as you drive along.
- Reverse operating system – With this mower, you won’t have to stop and start if you miss a bit – simply reverse over it because the mowing action will keep going even when the mower is in reverse!
- Cruise control feature – This is a great addition because it means the mower will maintain its speed even in rough terrain, which might otherwise jerk it about.
- Fender-mounted cutting deck adjustment – Being able to adjust the vutting height is a great feature, because you can decide how long or short you want the grass to be.
- This is a pricey item – The cost of this mower may be off-putting for some, but you pay for quality and this mower really is a quality land tractor.
A seriously heavy duty, efficient mower manufactured by reliable Husqvarna, which will make short work of pretty much any grass you throw at it.
When you need to mow a meadow and you don’t have a herd of sheep, there is nothing that will do except a good mower. A ride on one is considerably easier for large spaces than a push along, so we have found a good selection for the best mower for 10 acres award. Have a look through and pick the one that suits your needs the best, we’re sure you won’t be disappointed.