Consumption of a good oil has many health benefits for horses. It can improve coat and hoof health, soothe some gut issues, help with sore and stiff joints, and gives a boost of vitamins and minerals, depending on which type you use. The best oils for horses have to be purchased and fed to him, as he won’t find any naturally occurring oils in his diet of grass and hay!
What You'll Learn Today
- 1 Best Oils For Horses Reviews
- 1.1 1. Horse Guard Flaxen-Flow 100% Flax Seed Oil Review
- 1.2 2. Cocosoya Uckele 5lb Granule Powder Fatty Acid Formula Review
- 1.3 3. Equine Omega Gold 32oz Review
- 2 Conclusion
Best Oils For Horses Reviews
We have selected three of the best oils for horses – a Flax, a Soybean and a Camelina. Just have a look through the products below and choose the one (or ones!) that best suit you and your horse.
Oils for Horses
|Horse Guard Flaxen-Flow|
Flax seed oil that is great for your horse’s health.
|Cocosoya Uckele Granule Powder Fatty Acid|
Fatty acids from soy bean and coconut oils.
|Equine Omega Gold|
A great immune booster from the Camelina Sativa plant.
1. Horse Guard Flaxen-Flow 100% Flax Seed Oil Review
Flax seed oil is great for your horse’s health. It contains Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, both of which have numerous health benefits, and which have a really beneficial effect on the whole body – from the digestion to the coat and hooves.
- 100% natural flax seed oil – Unlike some supplements, this one has no added extras or hidden ingredients that might affect its performance or your horse’s health. It is totally 100% flaxseed oil.
- Very easy to feed to your horse – All you need to do is add this to your horse’s feed, about 1-2oz a day. Most horses don’t even notice the taste, and if they do they seem to like it!
- Helpful for many health conditions – Giving your horse flax seed oil regularly can help with things like arthritis, skin conditions, and allergies, and can help in glucose metabolism. It is also a great all round immune boost due to the trace elements in the oil.
- Nitrogen protected packaging – This product comes in a revolutionary packaging that completely prevents the ingress of oxygen to the product, thus removing the chance for oxidization.
- May be affected by hot weather – It is recommended that you store this product between 45 and 75 degrees Farenheit, otherwise the oil may go off. You can either store it at home in the refrigerator, or in a cool place if you are keeping it at the barn.
A really good supplement for any horse, flax seed oil provides may health benefits as well as nutrients and minerals to help your horse be as healthy and happy as he can possibly be.
2. Cocosoya Uckele 5lb Granule Powder Fatty Acid Formula Review
This oil provides its fatty acids from soy bean and coconut oils, and it is especially good for exceptional coat health.
- Natural source of vitamin E – This is something that it is nearly impossible for your horse to come by in his natural diet of forage, so adding it to his feed will help him no end. Vitamin E is the go-to mineral for improving skin and coat issues, so you should find your horse is extra shiny on this supplement.
- Rich in Omegas 3, 6 and 9 – The Omega fatty acids are great natural health supplements, being important for the immune system, the blood, eyes – in fact, the membranes that surround each and every cell in the body.
- A good supplement for a fussy eater – Some horses don’t like the taste of extra things in their food, so it can be hard to get a good oil into their feed. This one is very palatable and hard for even the pickiest horse to notice.
- Natural and unprocessed formula – A good supplement should be as natural and unrefined as possible, so that it gives all the benefits without any nasty side effects. This oil is completely unadulterated, making it the perfect addition to your horse’s diet.
- May not last as long as some other supplements – The recommended daily dosage is 2-4 scoops daily as a maintenance dose, and 4-8 if in heavy work, so you may find that you go through it quite quickly.
This is a good all round supplement to help your horse get the perfect selection of Omega acids to improve his all round health, and a great amount of vitamin E to give him a shiny, lustrous coat.
3. Equine Omega Gold 32oz Review
An Omega supplement in a liquid form for easy feeding, this one is a great immune booster made from the Camelina Sativa plant. It is as natural and healthy as it can be, and filled with health benefits.
- Anti inflammatory properties both topically and when used internally – This oil is strongly anti inflammatory, making it perfect for use on horses who have any kind of inflammation, up to and including arthritis.
- Excellent antioxidant properties – Due to its high levels of vitamin E, this supplement is considered an antioxidant in its own right. This in turn makes it boost the immune system, making for an all round healthier horse.
- Pure and natural supplement – For those concerned with only feeding their horse the best, this one is made from pure, pressed oil and nothing else.
- Can be used to alleviate pain – Because it is so effective at removing inflammation, this supplement can actually reduce levels of pain in even the stiffest and most sore horses.
- It’s quite expensive – They say you pay for quality, and they’re not wrong! This supplement does seem quite pricey for the amount that’s in it, but do bear in mind that it is very effective.
A fantastic supplement that will improve your horse’s everyday life, as well as long term health, no end.
Feeding your horse an oil supplement is a great idea, because there is very little in his natural diet that will provide him with a source of Omega fatty acids, essential to health. Whether you decide to feed your horse Flaxseed oil, Soybean oil or Camelina oil, you can be sure that you are buying one of the best oils for horses and improving his health.