So you’ve ended up on this page because you’re looking for best salt block for horses. Horses, like most other creatures, have a need for salt in their diet. Grass contains no salt whatsoever, so there is a need to add salt to your horse’s diet. Salt is made up of sodium and chloride, which (along with other minerals) are responsible for maintaining a balance of water in the body.
Sodium is essential for the healthy performance of the nervous system, and for transporting glucose across cell membranes, while chloride, as well as being responsible for fluid containing cells, is also an essential component of bile which helps in the digestion process. A horse who is deficient in salt may have skeletal problems, as well as behaviour issues, weight loss and muscle weakness.
What You'll Learn Today
- 1 Best Salt Lick For Horses Reviews
- 1.1 1. Salt Gems Himalayan Salt Lick Review
- 1.2 2. HijiNa Animal Licking Himalayan Pink Salt Lick Review
- 1.3 3. Exprimir Himalayan Salt Lick For All Animals Review
- 2 Conclusion
Best Salt Lick For Horses Reviews
Now that we know how important salt is, let’s have a look at the best salt block for horses:
|TOP PICK: Salt Gems Himalayan Salt|
A great salt lick with everything your horse needs.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
|HijiNa Himalayan Pink Salt Lick|
A good balance of salt and minerals.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
|Exprimir Himalayan Salt Lick|
A good salt lick, easy to hang up.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
1. Salt Gems Himalayan Salt Lick Review
This rather attractive salt lick comes on a handy rope to hang it up, and is used in countless stables and yards across the world, so you know it’s of good, trusted quality!
- Contains a great many trace minerals – There is a lot more to this salt lick than just salt! It contains many essential elements and vitamins to help improve your horse’s health and well being.
- 100% pure natural Himalayan salt – This salt lick contains what it says it does and nothing else – no nasty hidden chemicals or anything that might not be good for your horse’s health.
- Comes in a good large size – The net weight of this salt lick varies between 6.5 and 8lb, so it should last a long time (unless you have a large herd of very salt-deprived horses!)
- Comes with pre-attached rope for hanging – Hanging this salt lick couldn’t be simpler; just attach the rope to a fence post or a hook and away you go! No complicated instructions or hanging brackets.
- Horses may get chapped lips with overuse – We all know what it’s like when we eat too much salt all at once – it can make your lips feel strange. Horses get the same effect, so if this is a problem for yours then just remove the salt lick for a part of the day.
This is one of best salt block for horses, that contains everything your horse needs to keep him healthy and supplied with trace minerals as well as his salt requirements.
2. HijiNa Animal Licking Himalayan Pink Salt Lick Review
This 100% natural pink salt lick is suitable for all animals, but especially good for horses as it provides them with the right balance of salt and minerals. Also, it’s a good strong lick!
- Contains 84 minerals essential for good health – This lick contains magnesium, iron and potassium, as well as many other elements that help your horse stay in tip top health.
- Pure, chemical free and FDA approved – This salt lick is free from any harmful chemicals that some licks have added into them, and it is as pure as it can possibly be. The fact that it is FDA approved means that you can be sure it is of the highest quality.
- Salt lick encourages the horse to drink – As well as taking on board salt and minerals, another benefit of the salt lick is that it prevents dehydration by making your horse thirsty, so you can be sure he is drinking enough.
- No need for extra holders to hang the lick – This one comes with its own rope, already attached, so you can easily hang it wherever you want it to be.
- May become damaged if left out in the rain – This is a salt lick, and as such it may dissolve if left out in heavy rain for long periods of time.
A fantastic salt lick that will help your horse be as healthy as he can be, by providing a good balance of salt and minerals that you would expect from the best salt block for horses.
3. Exprimir Himalayan Salt Lick For All Animals Review
This pink Himalayan salt lick is mined from deposits in the Himalayas, and it will arrive with you in just about the same condition it was mined from the ground – no additives, no fumigating – making it the best thing for your horse.
- Replaces electrolytes lost during hard work – This salt lick contains many trace elements and will help your horse replace electrolytes, essential for the balance of water in his body.
- Encourages drinking – Taking on salt will increase your horse’s thirst temporarily, making him drink more, which in turn boosts the digestion, the skin, and overall health.
- Resistant to rain and biting – This lick is strong enough to withstand a lot of hard use, including the odd nibble from an overenthusiastic horse or a bit of a rainstorm.
- Helps reduce boredom in stabled horses – As well as being very good for him, putting a salt lick in your horse’s stable can prevent him from picking up bad habits due to having nothing to do. A salt lick should keep him occupied for a while!
- May be slightly brittle – This salt lick has been reported to occasionally break off into large chunks. If this happens you could either attach the pieces to another rope, or grate them into your horse’s dinner.
This is a good salt lick, easy to hang up and that will provide your horse with essential minerals and nutrients to keep him healthy. It can, of course, be used for any animal as well as horses.
A good salt lick will not only provide your horse with the salt requirements that he doesn’t get from his everyday diet, but also top up his vitamin and mineral stores. Licking at the salt will make him thirsty, thus encouraging drinking and making sure that he doesn’t get dehydrated, which comes with its own set of problems. Have a look through the list above, and I’m sure you can find the best salt lick for horses that suits you and your four legged friend the best.