Proper trousers to ride in, or jodhpurs as they are more commonly known, are essential for comfort. This is because riding trousers don’t have a seam down the middle where most trousers do, which means that your seat, the area on which you will feel the most pressure, will be comfortable and not sore and rubbed by the end of a long ride. But what if you are not keen on the traditional jodhpur style or riding breeches, or you want a pair of riding trousers that are a bit more comfortable, and like, well, horse riding jeans?
What You'll Learn Today
- 1 Horseriding Jeans Reviews
- 1.1 1. Ariat Women’s R.E.A.L Riding Mid Rise Skinny Jean Review
- 1.2 2. Wrangler Women’s Ultimate Riding Q-Baby Boot Cut Jean Review
- 1.3 3. Ariat Women’s R.E.A.L Riding Mid Rise Straight Cut Jean Review
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 2.1 1. Should you wear jeans when riding a horse?
- 2.2 2. Are there alternatives to jeans for horseback riding?
- 2.3 3. What style of jeans is best for horseback riding?
- 2.4 4. Is it all right to wear jeans to ride English?
- 2.5 5. Are there jeans made specifically for English riding?
- 2.6 6. What are some of the advantages of wearing jeans for horseback riding?
- 2.7 7. What are some of the disadvantages of wearing jeans for horseback riding?
- 2.8 8. How much longer should jeans be for riding a horse?
- 3 Conclusion
Horseriding Jeans Reviews
Fear not, we’ve got you covered – there is a huge selection of the best horseriding jeans, and we have narrowed the search down to three of the best so you won’t have to spend hours trawling the internet in the hunt for your perfect pair. These three contenders for our favorite jeans are:
|Ariat R.E.A.L Riding Mid Rise Skinny|
A great pair of riding jeans from a trusted brand.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
|Wrangler Ultimate Riding Q-Baby Boot Cut|
A great pair of riding jeans with an unusual cut.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
|TOP PICK: Ariat R.E.A.L Riding Mid Rise Straight Cut|
Perfectly suited to riding + all the walking, fencing, etc.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
1. Ariat Women’s R.E.A.L Riding Mid Rise Skinny Jean Review
This is a quality pair of riding jeans. They are made from a hardwearing Cotton and Polyester mix, with a touch of Spandex to allow a bit of give. They come in an attractive pre-faded colour too, so you won’t have to wear and wear them to remove that “new” look.
- Machine washable – This may sound like a small, unimportant plus point, but having riding jeans that can be chucked in the washing machine as normal after a long ride, without having to worry about shrinking or damaging them, is a real bonus.
- Designed with riders in mind – These jeans were made for, and tested by, riders. This means they will be perfect for riding, and everything that goes with it.
- Stretchy but strong – The small amount of Spandex in the mix means that these jeans have a bit of give and will be comfortable, as well as being strong and durable thanks to the Cotton/Polyester mix.
- No-gap waistband – There is nothing more irritating than getting a breeze around your midriff because the waistband is loose and baggy! The contoured waistband of these jeans keeps them snug around your middle.
- Ariat’s sizes tend to be on the large size – It may be worth ordering a size smaller than you usually wear, or risk having to return them for a smaller pair.
For a great pair of riding jeans from a trusted brand, you won’t go far wrong with these. Although they are on the pricey side, they are well made and very high quality, so will last you a long time. Think of them as an investment!
2. Wrangler Women’s Ultimate Riding Q-Baby Boot Cut Jean Review
A little different from the standard skinny fit of most riding trousers, these are bootcut. Perfect for short boots but you can still wear them with long boots; simply tuck the excess material inside.
- Strong, hardwearing and stretchy fabric – A mix of Cotton, Rayon, Polyester and Spandex makes these jeans durable enough to stand up to hard riding, while being comfortable to wear.
- Elastic waistband with button closure – Having a waistband that will not flap in the breeze is important for comfort, as it will stay put no matter what position you are in. The button fastening means there is no potential for a zip to break!
- Two front pockets as well as back ones – Pockets are so convenient, especially when riding, as it means you can carry a phone without having to carry a bag.
- Flat seams for riding comfort – There is very little that is worse than a badly placed, raised seam digging in when you’re riding! These jeans are designed for riders, so the seams are flat and unobtrusive.
- Sizes can be on the large size – Riding jeans are meant to be tight; this prevents potential rubbing and pinching. With that in mind you may wish to order a smaller size than you are used to, to avoid disappointment.
A great pair of riding jeans that stand out from the rest due to the unusual cut. Comfortable enough for hours of riding, and stylish enough to wear out to the pub afterwards!
3. Ariat Women’s R.E.A.L Riding Mid Rise Straight Cut Jean Review
A versatile pair of riding jeans, great for heavy barn work as well as hours of riding. They are well made and strong, as well as being comfortable and flattering.
- Strong and durable, yet also has give – The Cotton/Polyester/Spandex mix is perfectly balanced so the jeans are hardwearing but also have enough give to allow easy mounting.
- Mid rise for comfort and coverage – Bear in mind that when you are in the saddle your body is in a different position to on the ground, so having jeans that come up high enough to avoid any “wardrobe malfunctions” is essential!
- Perfect for long or short boots – Whatever your boot preference, you can be sure that these riding jeans will suit it. Long boots fit comfortably over the top, while short boots sit comfortably underneath.
- Double stitching at hard-use areas – Having a bit of extra support in the places that experience the most wear is invaluable, and will help these jeans last even longer.
- Crotch may be a little loose – Some users have reported that the crotch area seems a little baggy, though this can be fixed by ordering a smaller size.
A great example of the best horseriding jeans, these are perfectly suited to riding as well as all the walking, fencing, mucking out and grooming that goes hand in hand with owning a horse.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Should you wear jeans when riding a horse?
Jeans make good riding pants for Western riding, as well as for informal English riding. You can also wear a comfortable, soft, well fitted pair of jeans to ride bareback; however, you should be sure that the inseam is not too thick as this can be uncomfortable for both you and your horse.
2. Are there alternatives to jeans for horseback riding?
In the past, jeans were the go to pants for Western riders and breeches or jodhpurs were the correct apparel for English riders. Today there are many other alternatives available to suit specific horseback riding needs. For example, in addition to jeans, you can choose from riding tights, boot cut breeches and more.
3. What style of jeans is best for horseback riding?
Specifically, boot cut Wrangler’s with a mid rise waist and very flat inseams have been considered perfect for riding for a very long time. Trouser style jeans are also very popular because they are versatile, comfortable and nice-looking enough for socializing after the ride.
Avoid jeans with a very low or “hip hugger” waistline as this can be quite uncomfortable while you’re in the saddle.
4. Is it all right to wear jeans to ride English?
For informal English riding, jeans are fine; however, if you’re not wearing high boots you may find your calves pinched by the stirrup leathers. Additionally, the legs of boot cut jeans over Western boots may tend to ride up while you’re riding. If you’re going to wear jeans to ride English, it’s a good idea to wear a tall pair of boots over your jean’s legs.
5. Are there jeans made specifically for English riding?
There are some nice denim breeches these days that look like jeans but don’t have an inseam. These riding pants can also be purchased in a “full seat” version.
6. What are some of the advantages of wearing jeans for horseback riding?
Jeans are easy to find and affordable to buy, and they are quite comfortable for horseback riding. Additionally, you can usually wear jeans to work and/or to school and then go straight to your riding lesson or session afterwards.
7. What are some of the disadvantages of wearing jeans for horseback riding?
Pants that are especially made for riding, such as jodhpurs and breeches, provide more grip in the saddle. Additionally, heavy denim fabric may chafe, and is less flexible and hotter than some of the synthetic fabrics used for specialty riding pants.
For trail riding and/or riding in hot weather, cotton denim will soak up sweat and stay wet for a long time; whereas, synthetic fabrics will wick moisture away from your skin and dry out quickly.
8. How much longer should jeans be for riding a horse?
Jeans for riding should almost touch the ground at the heel of your boot or shoe when you are standing. The reason for this is that they will ride up a bit when you are in the saddle. You want them to cover your ankles while riding, both for appearance and protection.
So there you have it! Jeans are so universal; you can get smart, casual, or a mixture of the two, in just any style you could imagine. You were wondering if you could get jeans to go riding in, and you have found that you can. So which are the best horseriding jeans for you?
If you want a skinny jean in a mid rise style by a household name that you can trust, go for Ariat Women’s R.E.A.L Riding Mid Rise Skinny Jean. If your style tends towards the wider leg style, then the Wrangler Women’s Ultimate Riding Q-Baby Boot Cut Jean is for you. For those after a really strong, well made pair of riding jeans that can be used for all the other horsey jobs, the Ariat Women’s R.E.A.L Riding Mid Rise Straight Cut Jean is your answer.