If you keep your horse in a stable, even for a few hours a day, one of your biggest jobs will be mucking out and keeping everything clean. I can hear the groans from here! But it doesn’t have to be an endless slog of swilling urine from uneven floors, or scraping up those bits of poo that get stuck in the cracks of the concrete.
If you invest in some good stable matting, not only will the job of mucking out be easier but it will also be more comfortable for your horse. If you use bedding on top and he has a bed of shavings or straw, putting down stable matting will give a good firm base for the bedding to rest on, and if you choose to opt for just matting then many of them have anti slip properties meaning your horse will stay safer in his stall too.
What You'll Learn Today
- 1 Best Horse Stall Mat Reviews
- 2 Conclusion
Best Horse Stall Mat Reviews
Where do you find the best horse stall mats? Well, we have reviewed three of the finest ones out there to take the hassle out of finding them:
|Rubber-Cal Shark Tooth Heavy Duty Mat|
A thick heavy duty solution to your stable.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
|TOP PICK: Equine Stall Mat|
A thinner but well made and durable mat.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
|Rubber Mat Flooring|
An all round long lasting stable mat.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
1. Rubber-Cal Shark Tooth Heavy Duty Mat Review
These are great thick stable mats, which provide the ultimate in comfort and are easy to clean. Exactly what you’re looking for in any stable mat, let’s be honest!
- Thick cushioning is anti slip and anti fatigue – You won’t have to worry about the mats shifting around, even if your horse starts pawing at them, and they should last a good long time.
- Available in three sizes at ¾ inch thickness – This means that you can work out the size you need and only buy the amount you need, without having to worry about what to do with off cuts.
- Made from recycled rubber crumb – Using old tyres to make rubber matting is not only great for the environment, but it is a fantastic material for this type of application, being super strong and durable.
- Contains a high EPDM content – This means your stable matting will be resistant to wear and tear from UV as well as physical damage.
- Can shed rubber particles – When you first lay it, you should sweep the matting vigorously to remove any loose bits of rubber that a horse may find tempting to nibble on.
A very heavy duty solution to your stable matting search, this one will last and last. It is also nicely thick, so will cushion your horse’s feet meaning he will be extra comfortable in his stall.
2. Equine Stall Mat Review
A thick, well made piece of kit, this rubber matting will be a useful addition to your stabling. It is rugged enough to withstand a bit of pawing and abuse, and long lasting enough to keep your horse comfortable for a long time to come.
- Relatively light – Unlike some of the heavier matting, this one is just about suitable for laying by yourself.
- Textured surface for reducing slippage – This is important, especially in a stable where there will almost certainly be moisture from where your horse has relieved himself or knocked over his water bucket!
- Made from recycled rubber – This is not only a great way of using up old tyres, but also makes this rubber matting a strong, long lasting product which can stand up to any amount of abuse.
- Slim but substantial – These mats have a thinner look than some others, but are still strong enough to be perfect for laying on stable floors.
- It’s quite expensive – Compared to some stall mats this one is pretty pricey, but remember that you are paying for quality that will last for a long time, and that will take some of the pain out of the purchase!
Although this mat looks a lot thinner than some of the others on the market, don’t be fooled – it’s well made and durable, and will stand up to a lot of hard wear. Also, being thinner means that you don’t have to draft in friends and neighbours to help you lay it!
3. Rubber Mat Flooring Review
This is the height of luxury for stable matting. Made from recycled rubber tyres, this matting is heavy duty, strong and sturdy, and will make the stable comfortable for your horse – and the job of mucking out easier for you!
- Incredibly strong and durable – Even if you have a horse who likes to scrape up his bedding and paw the floor of his stable, this mat can withstand it. You won’t have to replace it any time soon!
- Comes with a smooth top surface or a diamond plate surface – You can opt for the smooth if your horse doesn’t mess around much in the stall, or the diamond plate if you think he is liable to slipping.
- The mats won’t move around – Because they weigh a pretty hefty 115lbs per mat, you won’t have to worry about them shifting around and making the floor uneven.
- Made from recycled materials – For those of us concerned with the environment, it is nice to know that some old tyres have been put to good use to make this flooring and not put in a landfill.
- They are really heavy – If you are planning to put this stable matting down by yourself, make sure you’ve had a good breakfast – or better still, enlist some help.
This is a fantastic all round stable mat, which is long lasting and strong enough to hold the weight of even the heaviest horse. It will provide cushioning and a wipe clean surface for when you get around to mucking out.
Stable mats are an invaluable resource, and one that will save you a lot of time mucking out – you can just scoop your horse’s leavings off the top and hose down the mats if you are not using extra bedding, or if you are, just scoop and hose and put down fresh bed and you’re away! The best horse stall mats will save you a lot of time and energy while caring for your horse, and will make your horse’s stable experience a whole lot nicer too by preventing hoof, leg and joint problems.